La Camarita


La Camarita - known as the Philip Banks Home - is a beautiful old home in Riverside, built in 1933. Philip was the son of Walter Banks, a pharmacist in Riverside. Walter was appointed to the Park Commisson and later became its president.

During Walter Banks’ tenure on the Park Commission, the City acquired 21 additional acres in Fairmount Park, including the marshland on which Lake Evans was developed. Also during this time, the City Beautiful program was in full swing, and its street tree program received much recognition nation wide.

Philip became a pharmacist and joined his father's business, the Banks Drugstore, at the corner of Mission Inn and Main Street. In 1968, Philip closed the Banks Drug Store and retired.

The present owners of the home have maintained the original garden (mostly cactus) and have added other interesting species of plants.


image


01camarita_00 02camarita_01 03camarita_02 04camarita_03
05camarita_04 06camarita1100792w 07camarita1100793w 08camarita1100797w
09camarita1100798w 10camarita1030327w 11camarita_07 12camarita_05
13camarita_06 14camarita_08 15camarita_09 16camarita_10
17camarita_11 18camarita_12 19camarita_13 20camarita1100800w
21camarita8680


Banks Drive, which connects Redwood Drive and Locust Streets, was named for Phil's father, Walter Banks.

image

image


Return to Riverside Home Landscapes