The town of Boron, built to accommodate miners, was originally called Amargo, which means bitter in Spanish - a reference to the taste of the water. It was named after Santa Fe Railway's Amargo siding that provided the best access to the new borate mine, which began production in 1927. When the Pacific Coast Borax Company moved to Amargo, the railway station and post office took the name Boron, for the nonmetallic element in borax.
Boron is a census-designated place (CDP) in Kern County, about 6 miles west of Kramer Junction on Highway 58. The road into Boron is 20 Mule Team Road, also known as Highway Business 58.
The city limits begin just across the Kern County line from San Bernardino County.